Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fun at work today

Its 1 am, and I can't sleep so here goes :

WOW. I got to work Saturday, the 21st, and was told I was training one of the new girls. I was a little nervous, yup, nervous at first, but soon settled into it.

I hope I didn't scare her about the bagging stuff, but I have a real thing about that. This was actually her third day of training so I think it was actually a good time to work on the finer points of bagging. At first she was making some pretty bad (in my eyes) choices about how to do it. She also still uses too many bags and has some inappropriate items together. But it doesn't come over night. When I was first trained they took a whole week to do it, and one day was spent on bagging alone. So these young kids don't have much of a start before being thrown in the pond to sink or swim.

I think she has potential, but that being said I trained a girl before and, though she started out strong, she faded fast and disappeared when she found that it was work. Hopefully this girl will stay around. The customers liked her and she did not get at all flustered by the few mistakes she made. And even the mistakes were very minor and not stupid, but just things that can happen to all of us. Get a little finesse into and there'll be no stopping her.


Also, quite impressed with our new customer service girl. Hard to take the fact that she is young enough to be my GRANDdaughter but that aside, she is really blossoming. She used to be a shy quiet little thing but wow, this has given her a whole new persona. She suddenly has this aura of confidence. So nice to see.

Good on ya, Sparkly Girl!!!!

By the way, this is the same girl I wrote about a couple of days ago. The 17 year old. And yes I am pleasantly surprised and ashamed of myself for thinking she was not up to it. She has stepped up to the plate and done an excellent job so far. Time will tell as to whether she can handle the snarky customers and some of the pressure that can go with the job. But so far I stand (or sit because I'm at the keyboard right now) corrected. If the transformation thus far is any indication, customers shouldn't be an issue for long, if at all.


By the way, it was really busy at the store today. Guess it must be all the end-of-spring-break crowd. The new girls did very well.

No comments: