Sunday, September 14, 2008

WHEW. Is it hot or what?!

Went in to work today and it was pretty good. As we all know I don't like the temperature anything above about 65 degrees F (which I guess is like 18 C.)

Anyway, that is one of the reasons I like working in a grocery store. It is supposed to be cool in there. Well apparently it was once again too cool. Although to be fair only one person pointed out that it was too cool. I told her it was 70 degrees inside the store. (She was old enough to still remember fahrenheit).

Now I know it was only one person, but it is like a million degrees outside. You can't breathe because the air is so heavy and you need a machete to even walk through it. I think it is the edge of one of the hurricanes. I'm not sure which one but it was so muggy and warm today.

I'm at home,now (was finished at 4:30) and it is about ten to 6. It is getting very dark outside and I think we are going to get one heck of a rainstorm. Even my little OLD barometer that with a full blown blizzard will only commit to a degree past the change label, is actually leaning way too close to the stormy label. Heck, if it says that, we may be in for a flood that will require some one who knows how to measure in cubits. (Noah's Ark).


Worked with a pretty good crew today and it was nice. No negative vibes in the store. Everyone had fun. No real bad customers. Makes me nervous, though. There's a full moon in a few days. It will be interesting as the week moves on.



Oh yeah. So the tomatoes are really, really good this year. So much flavour!!

I decided to make salsa to preserve. Got it all going yesterday (my day off that turned into snake at work day instead). Had the salsa heating, had the bottle in the canner, had the water heating up, the lids and sealers in their pot. Go to put the lid on the canner to help the water heat up and where the $$#@%$()*&*!^ is the lid?????


Now my kitchen is small (old, built in 1914 house) and there are very few cupboards as we have not had the money yet to redo the kitchen. Its okay. I make do. But there are only so many places you can put this freakin' lid. Looked everywhere. Heck I even looked in the fridge. (it wasn't there).


So had to turn everything off and figure out what to do. In the meantime, a few days ago I got a great deal on a toaster that can do bagels. Today I go to plug that in which means I have to move the old toaster and guess what is hiding behind it?? Yup the stupid lid. So, in the temperature from hell today I made ten jars of salsa and boiled them in the canner for 20 minutes. Yeah, not the brightest bulb in the drawer today, but boy the salsa sure tasted good when I tested it before canning. I have one jar that will need to be used up soon so we'll see if it is good enough to go ahead and make more.


{Boy... THAT had nothing to do with work. :-)}

No comments: