Friday, September 26, 2008

Atmosphere

I'm not sure what is going on at the store lately, but there is a strange atmosphere happening.

We had one of the head cashiers up and leave. There's a story there but I don't know what it is yet.

We have the renovations coming along (REAL Walmarty now). The bunches of carrots are standing, yes standing, up.

New shelving is going in and I suppose it looks good except that the store has lost a lot of its neighbourhood feel. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe no one is feeling comfortable. It is sure showing in the customers, who are getting crankier every day.


The Princess is really bugging me. I don't claim to be perfect but I have a way that I think customers should be treated. I've said that numerous times. Well, last night, she had a customer that she had just finished with and then she was going to get change. Another customer showed up so rather than serve him and then get the fives she tells them that she'll be right back, she has to get this change. But, she turns and doesn't show ANY sign at all of being in a hurry. She then goes looking for Head Cashier by walking a good twenty feet to the service desk, slowly and with that perpetual scowl. No HC so she comes and asks me to page for her. Well, I am supposed to be gone by now PLUS I am waiting on a customer of my own who I am pretty sure was the one she just turned her back on. So I handed her the phone. She just looked at it and then goes to put it back but misses the cradle entirely. She bangs it around a few times and then I hear silence. I finish with my customer and look at the phone and it has not been put back at all. (It needs to be replaced properly or the next person using it in the store somewhere can't hear). She has just left it there. I wanted to wring her little princessy neck. Luckily HC showed up and my replacement came over.

That's another thing. I show up early for work and stay late when needed, but I am getting real tired of nobody showing up to let me go home early. I also make sure the bags are ready and full, that the area is clean, there is change in the drawer but no one is doing the same for me. Oh once in a while someone does it, but not nearly as many times as I do. And then the one time I didn't show up until one minute before shift change I get "Oh I guess you don't like me anymore. You came in late." Granted she apologized for making it sound that way, but I just want them to realize that it is a courtesy from me to them. What REALLY annoys me, though, is when my replacement is already there and still doesn't come over to let me leave maybe a few minutes early.


Sorry, to be bitching, but I guess I'm feeling the pressure from not enjoying myself at work as much as I'd like to. I will still do the coming in early for others, maybe not as often, but that's the kind of person I am. I guess sometimes you just want a little back.

No comments: