Friday, September 26, 2008

Atmosphere Pt 2

Showed up for work and you can cut the tension with a knife. Seems like it might be coming from a higher boss who seems to think that nagging people is the way to get things done and gain respect.

WRONG

I have written down that I am not available after 7:30 pm ANY night. I've done my time working crap shifts and now the younger kids should have a chance. Anyway, the schedule has me working two 4 to 8 pm shifts this upcoming week. When I pointed out that I wasn't available I was told that the schedule is made and I will have to fix it. That means I have to call the person who has less seniority than I do and ask, yes ask, if they will switch with me. I don't think I should have to do that. I made it clear for a long time that I am not available at that time.

It is apparently to cover breaks over supper time? Well, I think just a body is needed. It doesn't have to be me. As long as someone works that time then all should be well.

I am sort of feeling like I am ready to leave. I love my job but I don't like some of the attitude that is going on. I realize that it is a pain in the ass to make up a schedule with all the variables there are. BUT, I don't see why some shifts, as has happened over the past few weeks, can't stay basically the same. Wouldn't that make it a lot easier? If someone has been there 18 months as opposed to being there 5 or 6 months well then reason only dictates that as you move further down the list you get worse choices. That's the way it worked when I was a teenager and working at my first grocery store.

I remember the more senior people were getting the good shifts and us teenagers were used to plug in the holes.

I have all but two times showed up for my appointed shift. I have always taken just the 15 minutes allowed for break time. I stay late when asked. I put the customers before anything else. I help as much as I can. I don't stand around doing nothing. I have a lot of experience and a way with customers. The couple of times that I thought I was going to be late because of traffic I have called and let them know.



Anyway, I'm giving it a day or so. A few other things happened that are bothering me, but I feel that maybe the pressure from the boss is getting to everyone and they are getting plain old cranky. We'll see how the next few days go. All I know is that I am NOT working past 7:30 any night.


I also would not want to be in the head cashier's position and have to deal with all the people they have under them. I wouldn't want to deal with ME and I like myself. Its a rough job and you get nothing but grief for it. Oh yeah and complaints. So yup, I don't like it but I sure wouldn't want to do it either. I guess all in all, I'm crabby and feeling the pressure.

No comments: