Sunday, September 14, 2008

Been a little too long

So.... what's new?


Well, yesterday was again 'take my snake to work' day. That was possible because it was my day off. So where do I go on my day off?? Well, the store of course. Even though it was a little rainy it was so muggy that it was okay for the snake to stretch her.... ribs. One cashier had asked about seeing her and then word spread and I had a few people looking forward to the event.

I showed up and the requesting girl wasn't there yet but soon showed up. She was so thrilled and then a few other girls game out of the store. Even the assistant manager who wanted pictures but was not getting close. One cashier even called her Mom who showed up with Dad, sister, friend and friend's daughter in tow. All were impressed with the snake and lots of questions. I had fun and people seem to be amazed that I have a snake as a pet. They are a great pet. You don't have to do much except feed them every 2 to 3 weeks, clean the cage about as often and make sure they have heat and water. You can go away for days on end and not have to worry about them starving to death.


Yappy Girl came in for, hopefully, her final 'visit'. She was picking up her vacation pay, which according to her was not enough, and she was sure to tell EVERYone that worked in the store about it. She bought a little stuffed dog for her son who is, surprisingly, a real normal kid. She did that in order to cash the cheque. As I punch in the amount and say it out loud to her she says that's wrong. I pause and look, thinking I have transposed numbers or something. No, I was right and she says no, it should be more money. SO?? You want me to just put more in the computer or what? She really had a chip on her shoulder and seemed to be really cruising for a fight or something. Anyway, I never made eye contact which I figured was the safest way to go.


BUT.... we seem to have someone who is almost as miserable as YG was. Just in a different way. Too many bad vibes coming from her.

Anyway YG's replacement... I'll have to come up with a code name for her. So, she wants to take her break and she keeps saying "I'm going on my break now." She can't go until she is told by Head Cashier because we have to have people covering the registers. It was also coming on to lunch time and now that school is back we get a TON of high school kids in buying lunches. Especially now that the salad bar is back.

She keeps telling me she's going and finally I say to her that she better check with HC before she does that. Now she's already turned off her light and telling people that she's closed. So I have a line up four people long and she's standing there trying to get HC on the phone. Finally she figures out that she's not going anywhere and opens up for one of our regulars who happens to like his groceries put in bags right away. (I think because he likes to put them in the buggy immediately.) Anyway, he's quirky, but what the hell, you work around that. He asks her three times and she decides to be stubborn and say "I'm getting to it" and then curses under her breath. That in and of itself is unusual as she usually just curses out loud. (On the same day the "f" word came out in front of an elderly lady.)

When she finally got her break she was gone for more than 20 minutes. When she came back in the store she wandered around a while before eventually getting to the register. I find I don't really like working next to her. She is a little too negative and doesn't seem to think of her co-workers. She leaves the space a mess and the belt is dirty, actually filthy the couple of times I have worked on the register after her. She also doesn't like to stock the bags back up or get change for the tray.

Well, that's enough for now. More later on the co-workers.


The store is coming along. We lost our big signs two days ago. I guess they are going to paint first before the new ones go up. The store is looking nice although it looks very Walmarty. I mean that the shelves, at least for dairy so far, are all black and reminded me of the Walmart I was in in Pennsylvania a couple of months ago.

It also appears that some prices are going up which I think will be a HUGE mistake. We are gradually having the old stores no name replaced with the new stores no name and 30 cents on frozen orange juice is too much of a jump.


Later. Have to go to work now.

No comments: