Monday, June 2, 2008

Sunday at the store

First off, let me tell you that, contrary to what people THOUGHT would happen with Sunday shopping, the world has NOT, from what I see ground to a halt and burst into flames, and families have not split up and lost their time together.

Why just yesterday, Selfish-Lady was in with the two kids (aged about 2 1/2 and 5). She was busy shopping and the kids were having a grand time running all around the store, squealing and screaming and pounding on things like there was no tomorrow. They also, particularly like to run back and forth across the front of the registers, close to the front window and totally OUT OF SIGHT of the mother. I'm surprised that she appears so unconcerned that these kids could possibly be stolen. It is sad to say that, but in this day and age IT is a distinct possibility. I am not at all happy that it appears that we, the cashiers, are sort of expected to watch out for them.

This is not the first time this has happened. She also tends to block the exit from the check out lanes as she sort of collects the little monsters and pretends to put the items back that they have moved around. She has no consideration of the other customers trying to leave. She stands there "reasoning" with them and tsk tsking and then wanders out of the store. Thank goodness instinct takes over and the little dears follow her.

A lot of other families come in and the children seem to be helping with the shopping and actually learning HOW to shop. I remember that as a fun time with my Mum although at the time I didn't know I was learning stuff. If I had I probably would have rebelled as I was at THAT age where parents knew nothing.

Then there is Sicko Boy. This is a young man (?) that sometimes swipes his grandmothers scooter and uses it to come to the store. He zips around in this thing (he is perfectly capable of walking) like he has the right of way. He seems to have the attitude that he is in this thing and therefore should be treated as someone special. He annoys the crap out of me. I DO NOT like him on two feet and I DEFINITELY do not like him on wheels. If he was my cub and I was the lioness I would kill him. I don't know why it is like this with me, but there are some people that just sort of set off my killer instinct.

I also had two guys, come through express, that had 14 items. They DID come through when I had no customers so I let it go. BUT, then one of them said that they had too many items and she'd probably going to tell you you can only have so many. That was my cue. I said to him " funny, you should say that. I was just going to ask you which eight items you want." They have been in before and could tell I was funning with them. We kept it going for a little while.

Then, about an hour later I have this lady with a buggy FULL of stuff and she is hanging back until a couple of other customers go through with their 2 or 3 items. She then pulls into the line up and I said "I'm sorry, but this is express." She says "But I waited till they were gone." That makes it okay????

I
can see the three customers that are already behind her and the looks on their faces.

I also happened to have three other cashiers working with me yesterday that were all on regular lines. Yes they each had a customer or two and yes she was going to have to wait, but if she had gone where she was supposed to go in the first place she would be half checked out now.

What in the hell gets in their heads sometimes.

No comments: