Thursday, June 12, 2008

Last word (for now) on store temp

Yesterday it was very pleasantly warm outside, not humid, just nice. The sun still feels a whole lot hotter than I remember from previous years, but I stay out of it as best I can.

So, anyway, the few days before were very hot and humid and the people coming in the store were commenting on how nice it was in there. The temperature in the store is the same as it was last week when they all complained about it being so cold. The only difference was the outside temp.

Nuff said on THAT for now.

Had Corn Boy and the girlfriend in yesterday. This time they had the correct amount of items for express and all went well. Its funny though, they both seem incapable of speech. Oh well.

Mrs. Violet was in again. Still walking lots (more than I could). I notice her hearing is getting worse. I worry about her crossing the street in front of the store.

I passed out cards with links to this page to a few of my regular customers. The people I think will understand this whole thing. I hope I hear from someone about what they think of the ramblings of a cashier.

We have this one lady that comes in (Mrs Pinchpenny) and she can be annoying in a tight sort of way. She is obviously well off and reminds me of Ruth Gordon. She argued with me up hill and down dale that the cereal was on for $1.99. I told her I didn't think it would be priced that low as it is an expensive item. She told me she had SEEN the sign and starts to walk away to look for it. She said it was at the front of the store. I knew it wasn't that price because it would make the price below retail and we don't do that. I am on a regular register, but with a pretty big line-up. Now, having had my hip replaced a year ago November, I don't like to go hiking all over the store. After standing for a few hours it is hard for me to walk. (I need both knees replaced). However, I did have to follow her to try and find this display of cereal that said $1.99.

We go all over the front of the store with her insisting there was a display and telling me she KNOWS she saw it. Finally, after going down a few aisles and around the front with her mumbling that she KNOWS she saw it, I went back to my register. I did this because the head cashier came out and walked her around for another few minutes. Turned out the SAVINGS was $1.99. I only knew what they had discovered because head cashier told me. Mrs. Pinchpenny didn't even appear apologetic for holding up the customers. I'm not sure what it is about her that annoys me. I always feel like I am not good enough, or doing a good enough job or that she is annoyed that she even has to deal with us. Not sure, just weird vibes from her.

Sicko Boy's grandmother was in yesterday (the owner of the scooter). She reminds me a little of Jekyll and Hyde. So pleasant one minute and then sounds like Linda Blair in the Exorcist the next. She appears to be looking after a bunch of kids. I'd say about 4 or 5 (not counting Sicko Boy) anyway, and she is in the store quite frequently. The kids are for the most part well behaved. I have seen her taking them to school and the younger ones hold the scooter as she rolls along, so she knows where they are. She can be very pleasant but when one of the kids does something bad, her head starts to spin and these horrible words and sounds come out. It makes my blood run cold.

To be honest with you, I have never seen these kids do anything wrong. One time two of the girls came through the express and I, apparently, handed the change to the wrong girl. Well, the sound that accompanied the "give your sister her money, NOW" really took me aback. The girl never even had a chance to think of doing it herself. My fingers were barely off the coins when the venom flowed. Now, I admit, I don't know what these kids are like at home, but I thought it odd that she never even had a chance to be naughty before being accused of it.

Back into work this afternoon so off to study next week's flyer. I like to tell customers what the specials are coming up for the following week so I need to memorize the front page.

No comments: