Thursday, June 19, 2008

Been A While

Boy the times flies when you're busy.

Since last time, I've told a few more people about this space. Been getting overall great reviews and most people saying they think I write very well.

Had several of the regulars in lately. Had a lady in on Monday that made me smile. On the weekend I watched an episode of All Creatures Great and Small. I absolutely LOVE the Yorkshire accent. I could listen to it all day long. Well this lady started talking and I recognised it right away. She was astounded that I knew where she was from. I said how could you not recognise that beautiful sound. I told her about my Mum and Dad having been there and how they actually met the real James Herriott. They were very stoked about that. My Mum had planned on her and I going over there together and she was going to show me around. It never worked out. She put it off for some reason and then she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Anyway, it was lovely listening to this lady speak. She advised me to go over there anyway. Maybe one day.

Then there is this older (probably late 80's) gentleman that calls me by my name and always has a smile. He always buys at least two cans of beans for the food share bin. He is impressed that I remember that he does that and don't put them in the bag with his other groceries. I once asked him if he was a grandpa and he said "yes, why?". I told him that he had the kindest face and looked like he would be an absolutely terrific Grandpa. He reminds me a lot of my Dad, actually. Such a kind, kind loving face.

Showed up for work on Monday and Head cashier says "you're on 5." Then "I'm sorry."

?????

"She's here. On 4."


AAARRRGGGHHH

Sure enough I get out there to little miss ray of sunshine and she's pissed because she has to stock the end caps of each register. There was a new guy being trained for nights and he needed to be checking to get the experience, so Yappy Girl has to put stock out. Well, when I showed up she thought I should do it, I guess, and wasn't too happy that I didn't have to do it. Now the weird thing is that when she is on cash she wants to be off wandering around putting stuff away, not checking out customers.

Finally she gets to go back on cash and she starts yapping. NON-freaking-STOP. I did this, cell phone that, should be more people here, grocery clerks should do more work, she's a cashier and doesn't have to take that from anyone.

(SHUT UP)!!!!

She can not seem to keep her mouth shut for more than two seconds. In fact if its quiet for three seconds I feel like checking to see if she still has a pulse. I saw her at one point holding up three customers because, rather than ask for coins or bills (not her job, remember) she had customer 1 wanting cash back. She didn't have it and customer 2 was paying with credit card. But lo and behold customer 3 has cash!! So she has #1 waiting, yapping at #2 to sign his credit card slip and she's ringing in #3 to get her hands on the cash. After all this is done she sorts out their groceries for them, which she has piled at the end all together. Her mouth is going a mile a minute. The customers are not sure they are getting their own bags so the result was:
Three confused and not very happy customers.
One stupid cashier that leaves a bad impression.
One slightly amused but also very stunned cashier.

Then it is FINALLY time for her to go home. The next cashier comes on and guess what?? No coins in the tray, no bags to put groceries in. Nothing cleaned up. As soon as it was 5 minutes before the end of her shift she is gone and handing her tray in. The next girl comes out to have nothing to start with. In the meantime, Yappy, who is now clocked out ( and goodness knows I'd like to clock her out) stands over by the courtesy counter which is where we get our change from, yapping away while head cashier is trying to get the coin together for the girl that has just taken over the tray. Yappy doesn't even acknowledge the other girl or that she has just left someone in the lurch yet again. I wonder how she's going to like it when it happens to her. Because someday it will. I promise!!!


I have NEVER seen her clean the belt off. I really do not like inconsiderate, selfish people.

Mrs. Violet was in and told me she really misses me the days I am not there. She also told me she prays for me every night. I haven't the heart to tell her I may be beyond help. :-)

No comments: