Sunday, June 29, 2008

Young people and work

I know. Seems odd to use those two words in the same sentence.

I don't understand why they have a job but can't show up for work. I have always been a responsible person and as such have shown up when I need to be there. I even show up when I feel like hell. Sometimes my knees are killing me and the thought of standing for 4 or more hours in one spot is beyond me.

But I still do it. Some of these kids are of the mind that they don't need to be there or be on time or have any responsibility at all. They either call at the last minute or they just plain don't show up. I was called to possibly fill in last Thursday night and again for Saturday night. I was unable to do either one as I was not feeling well on Thursday and I was in Toronto Saturday afternoon so didn't get the message in time.

Yet, I felt bad for letting them down. I have become one of the reliable ones that can usually be called in at the last minute. There are others that they can call but they do not always do a good job. We have a couple of them that are so friggin slow its unbelievable. I know if I was a customer I would be mighty ticked off if it actually took me longer to pay for my groceries than it did to pick them out.


And yet, as I have said before there are a few young people that are so very grown up and responsible. Wonderful personalties, care about their jobs, do it well and are wonderful with customers. They can be counted on to be there when they are supposed to. Will work an extra few minutes or hours when asked and never take it out on the customers. They show up a little early to relieve someone and are just very great to be around. I love it when I find I am working with them.

Young people as customers are also an interesting experience. Its amazing how many have no concept of money. Time and time again they have bought something that will give them change of anything from 25 cents to just under two dollars. They will start to walk away totally forgetting they have change coming or even more amazing tell me to keep it. I always question them on it, and they are surprised to realize how much they almost gave away. Don't they know how to do math anymore??

And oh, the absolute look of shock when something is $3.87 and after they give me a five I'll ask them if they have 12 cents and I can give them $1.25 back. I can even look in their hand at all the change and tell very quickly that they have enough but they'll just give you a loonie because they can't seem to add up the coins.

Anyway, off to work.

No comments: