Wednesday, May 28, 2008

WTF

So Yappy Girl was in yesterday. This would be a cashier I work with. The girl has some issues. I am not sure what is going on with her but she is like a kid who's had way too much sugar and then taken speed. She operates at warp speed. Mouth, limbs, and mouth again. Except that, sometimes, I think her brain can't keep up. She'll ask for a price check and then if someone doesn't react IMMEDIATELY she'll go and check herself, still with the mouth in overdrive.

She finishes her shift and then hangs around the store for a while. She starts to talk to the other cashiers when they are trying to do their jobs. She'll ask really strange questions that she already knows the answer to then switches to another subject. Sometimes she'll walk away in the middle of an answer if you are silly enough to try to engage in conversation with her.

So after wandering around the store yesterday she only had one choice of cash to go through and I was it. She starts to pile all these groceries up on the belt, sweeping them back with her arm in order to add more to the front (?) of the pile. There are reduced price stickers on some items that are supposed to be removed by the cashier and they are all detached. I finally ask her to quit doing that and she did: for exactly two packages. The problem is that the stickers fall off their packages or they stick to other items. In other words you are NOT sure whether you have got them all or with the appropriate item. I might mention that this is all happening at "rush hour" in the grocery store.

I now have a line up of three more people all with buggies FULL of groceries and the express aisle is lined up ten long. All the while there is muttering about leaving the bread under everything and what will I do and I don't know if I need so much and I don't know why I'm spending so much. I end up bagging it and putting some bags at the next register because there is no more room for it on mine. She tells me I need the discount key which I have already called for and then bemoans the total again and pays.

I finally move on to my next customer and am part way into the order when I have the head cashier and Yappy Girl behind me trying to go through my coupons.

"What are you looking for?"

"She says that there is a $5.00 coupon missing." they can't find it or maybe they do but I have a customer to deal with. I continue and then they are back, again. Another coupon missing!!???

Finally they take the pile and get out from under my feet and start riffling through them. Then I look over at customer service and see her going through the bill and starting to return items.

Turns out that she went through the store so fast just grabbing any and everything that she got a bunch of stuff that wasn't on sale. Now, she WORKS here. She should know the prices and how the specials tags are below the item on the shelves etc. I think she just grabbed everything that had a sticker on it.

By now I am supposed to go on break and we still only have two cashiers. The head cashier is supposed to open another register so I can leave but she is still tied up with the Nutty one. Also there is now a line up of customers waiting to buy lottery tickets or return items or get rain checks. They are getting a little frustrated, but curious; the head cashier is mucho ticked, because this is taking time away from HER job and I am about to go on break which she realizes will make the line ups way worse.

I am smart enough to size up the situation and offered to stay until she got it all sorted out and works through the crowd. Head cashier was very happy I did that.

Consequently because of a total LACK OF COURTESY and an incredible amount of INSANITY on the part of Yappy Girl several people were inconvenienced. It took two and a half, almost three, hours to get that girl out of the store. As she left the parking lot she got into a honking match with a driver that had the right of way and it turns out all she wanted to do was get across the road and park on the other side. A total distance moved of 50 feet, maybe.

When I got back in after break head cashier was still fuming and I think it took her quite a while to get over the anger and frustration.

And Yappy Girl goes merrily on her way.

Wow makes the ABSOLUTE WORST customer a dream to deal with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What does WTF mean?

Where's The Fruit ?

Poor Yappy Girl.
Does she have a blog?

We need to hear her side of the story.