Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Express Again (or 'my 2nd home')

I really like being on express. Its fast paced and the time DOES fly. Which I really needed.

Yesterday my sister-in-law became the proud owner of a live-donor kidney. The donor is the girlfriend of a long time friend of my two brother's. She is also a longtime friend to us and a huge lot of fun. She and my SIL have had to go through LOTS and LOTS of tests and procedures and counsellings etc.

Just before I had to leave for work, I received the call from my brother that the surgery went well and that the kidney was already working. I did not realize how much stress I had been under for her until I hung up the phone. Then off to work for me. I stopped at my best friends house on the way to tell her about the surgery and to get a quick hug. I wouldn't be seeing my husband until after ten so needed to talk to someone. Thank heaven for work. I told some of my co-workers about it. And also told several of my customers. It was so nice that they genuinely cared and were happy for us.

There were a few that had had someone close to them have an organ transplant of some kind as well. They knew what it felt like and were very happy that we had a live donor. Its such a wonderful thing that someone can do that for another person. My SIL used to wonder why the donor chose to do it, and I have tried to explain that she is getting almost as much from this as my SIL is. The overwhelming feeling of saving someone's life!!!???

Back to work. Had a few of the rudies back today. I'd like to smack them. The other side of the coin is the people that come through and for some reason think I have done them a favour for letting them buy groceries, taking their money and sending them on their way with a smile and some well packed bags. I seem to recall they are a little of the older generation. Over 40's anyway.

Also had to pull into a parking lot and was amazed at the grade school aged kids walking across the driveway and staring insolently at the car and not moving one little bit faster. Actually slowing down to a swagger and glare at the car. I do not expect them to scurry out of the way but at least have the decency to look like you're thinking about it. Some people can see that if they let the car in then they are not holding up traffic and are actually being considerate. But these kids couldn't care about anything but them selves and will grow up to be the little snots in the grocery store that expect everything to be done for them.

Oh goody.

No comments: