Sunday, May 25, 2008

Again With the Express Aisle

I was on express yesterday. I actually like being there. It is fast paced, it is busy, and you see a LOT of people. It can be tiring, because it sometimes is SO busy that you find yourself getting into a rut of repetition: "hi, how are you, I'm wonderful, do you have air miles, $9.53 please, your change is .47, thank you, Hi, how are you, I'm terrific, do you have air miles, " etc, etc...

So yesterday, I had a couple of minutes with no one in line and then there was this young couple, probably mid- twenties, and they were sort of deciding whether to get in my line up. Another customer showed up which made them decide to commit to the cashier process. He goes off somewhere and she starts to put the items up. Soon there are 9, then 10, then 11 and it is still going. Unfortunately for me I had already started the order. I see the customers behind looking at the number of items so I do the raised eyebrow thing to let them know I, too, have noticed.

She is taking her time, too, which ticked me off a little more. So when she's finally got it all on there, and it turns out to be 21 items, she starts to push the buggy through and I said to her "for future reference, this is the express aisle" and I point to the sign that clearly states one to eight items. "Oh, I didn't know."

BULL.

Then she says "there should be some corn coming soon."

"Well, if its not here by the time I get to the end, it won't be happening, because I am not holding the line up."

She, at least had the decency to look a little, and I do mean LITTLE, sheepish. But then when its time to pay she actually held the credit card back a little like she's hoping the boyfriend will arrive. Eyebrow again, which made her hand it over.

I went to the next customer and the next and the next and still she is waiting at the end of the register for this 'corn'. Finally, after more that 10 minutes, the boyfriend shows up with 6 ears of corn and looks at me like how come she's done already? He was actually perturbed that he had to dig the change out to pay for his corn.

Another reason management won't let me have a taser.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH

No comments: