Saturday, March 20, 2010

Two Actual Customers and a Compilation

I had these two actual customers on Friday and forgot to mention them. The first one was this very elderly gentleman who came into the store for the first time last week. I don't mind helping BUT he expects us to load the groceries into his little bundle buggy ! He showed up again yesterday and it was clear that I was to get the buggy and again arrange everything in there so it would all fit.

In most ways not a big deal. BUT it would be so much nicer to be asked to do it than it be an expected service. It is further made difficult because the buggy is very low to the ground and my back just can't take being bent over like that.

* * * * *

The second customer is this woman yapping away on her cell phone who never said hello or even acknowledged me. She starts putting stuff up and I start to ring it in. I am waiting for her to say something to me about bags or whatever, and finally figured I should ask if she has bags. I didn't raise my voice, in fact I lowered it (my way of dealing with someone rude enough to be talking on the cell phone). She said she didn't need a bag so I finish putting stuff up on the end for her. She finally asks the person on the phone if she can call her back, "she's sort of busy".

Really?? What are you doing, besides being rude to me - the lowly wench ringing your groceries through.

She finally puts a bag at the end on top of everything and just leaves it there. I now have three more customers in line. I noticed she didn't seem to be doing anything so I asked if she needed me to bag for her, not expecting the answer I got.

"Yes."

The woman had no freaking manners! ! ! ! No consideration for any one else. She didn't care that she was holding other people up. And she never even tried to help. Just figured that is was her right to be waited on.

The other customers were shocked by what she did.

Just rude.

* * * * *

The third type of customer is again very inconsiderate. Or has no common sense, or something.

You ask if they want bags, they say "no." You ask would you like me to bag for you. "No, I'll do it myself."

Or they say they'll put it in their backpack or something.

Anyway, you put the items at the end and I arrange them by hot, cold, fragile, produce or whatever applies. I basically make a bagging 'kit' in that if you use common sense I have laid the groceries out in a way that makes bagging easier.

Here's where it gets good. One of three things happens:

1) they take their sweet ass time about getting the items in the bag, backpack, whatever and hold up your processing of the next customer.

2) they stand there, playing with a cell phone while everything is left sitting until they remember what they were doing. Again, leaving me no where to put the next customer's items.

OR

3) they stand there, trying to find the keys or money or bags or common sense, FINALLY load their stuff and then struggling to carry everything will walk around the buggy and just leave it there to block other people.

YOU ARE GOING THAT WAY. PUT THE GROCERY BAGS IN THE BUGGY, PUSH IT TO WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM, THEN TAKE YOUR BAGS OUT AND LEAVE THE STORE.

Simple.

More about buggy woes another day.

4 comments:

lovelymace said...

i totally agree with what you're saying! some people just act all smart ass and like the own the freakin world! they take their time like no one else matters and i hate that. i especially hate rude ass drivers!

ClassyGal said...

I've seen it all at my local grocery store. I'm not sure why people treat other people that way and thinks it's ok. Well I'm here to tell you, you don't deserve that. I hope you have some customers that actually appreciate the work that you do.

JLTan said...

A little courtesy and common sense can go a long way. Unfortunately, not everybody has learnt that. We need to be patient as we try to help them learn.

Mister Wilson said...

You are right, some people are really stupid.. Nice blog.. can you visit mine too? http://intellectualopinions.blogspot.com/2010/04/writers-dream.html