Friday, March 12, 2010

NOW what ? ? ? ?

So I got told, at the end of my shift, that the boss wanted to see me. I'm thinking WTF have I done now?

I knock on the door and am told to enter. I asked if I need a union rep with me. I was told if you needed one I'd be sure to have one here.

Anyway . . . .

Turns out I am too slow. They have this scan per minute crap that we are judged on. That would be how many items you can scan through in an hour. You can log the machine into sleep mode between customers, but apparently doing that in the middle of an order is good too. All well and good, I guess, because I do tend to get the older customers and they do take a little longer to get their cards ready or their change or what have you.

Oh yeah, and I should spend less time talking. Apparently the customer I'm dealing with is okay about it, but the next customer in line is pissed because I am taking so long. Funny, I am pretty good at reading my customers and I don't remember having too many aggravated ones. What I do see are faces eager to be coming through my line and people that seem to be pleased with the personal attention they receive. I also see people very happy to have their groceries packed in a decent manner.

So, I think I'll put a sign up that says "Please have the answers to these questions ready as I don't have time to talk:

Do you want bags?
Do you want me to pack your bags?
Do you have an Air Miles card?
Are you paying with debit?


Then I need to wear a sign that says "No personal conversation allowed. I don't have time."

* * * * *

Why is it that, once again, it is pointed out how bad I am at something but never am I called in to be told how a customer has been pleased about something? I guess I haven't pleased any of them. Hmmm

* * * * *

Yesterday, this woman comes through the line and says "oh, I forgot my purse and don't have a credit card. " I said, "that's a shame" , and then I expected . . . . I don't really know what I expected. I didn't expect her to just walk away and leave everything on the belt and not say another word to me. I think an "I'm sorry" would have been nice, but . . . nothing.

She just left about ten items on the belt and walked off. Three of the items were perishable and had to get back to their appropriate departments immediately. But she just left!

* * * * *

So in the past month, I have been told about my shoes, the $20.00 missing from my tray, my (non-dress) pants, my talking and my slowness. I wonder what's left that I can screw up? ? ? ?

* * * * *

PS. I don't know if I wrote about the $20.00. but about three weeks ago, I came up over (so I was originally told) on my tray. The only thing I could think was that I had forgotten to give someone their cash back. Normally a customer will come back to get their money. I then happened to go into 2 days off. I come back and am about an hour and 15 into a five hour shift when I am called off register and told that the boss wants to see me. (When money goes missing they have to 'counsel' you and tell you to smarten up) I was asked what happened to the $20.00 and I said I think I must have not given some one their cash-back and that was when I found out that I was actually under $20.00.

Then I am asked what happened? What the hell kind of question is that? How the heck do I know? I didn't intentionally give someone too much. And if I mistakenly did that then how would I know? THAT'S why its called a 'mistake'. I can understand the being careful and stuff, but I am usually within 10 cents or so of a perfect tray, so for something like this to happen is strictly a MISTAKE. It wasn't carelessness on my part, evidenced by the fact that I am so close the rest of the time. It was just a mistake. Maybe two bills stuck together. I DON'T KNOW! ! ! ! !

I see where they have their rules and crap, but geeeeees!!!

No comments: