Monday, October 20, 2008

Long Time - No See

Well, I should be ashamed I guess for leaving everyone hanging for more than ten days without any entertainment.

The store is coming along pretty well. More and more compliments coming in but also concern that the shelves seem empty. I'm hoping that once the major renovation stuff is done that we'll start having more product on the shelves. Its nice that they made it able to hold more but it looks a little bad that there are so many blank spots. Of course that is probably also being held up by the renovation stuff. I guess it means less items to move.

OH, and we have doors on our frozen foods now! before we had the older kind where the product was easy to reach in a cooler sort of thing. It also meant that the cold air could overflow and roll across the floor keeping the whole area cool. Hopefully there'll be less complaints about the temperature now that we have doors.

AND...... One day last week, when I had the day off, I had to drive by and saw a big crane there. I am pretty sure a new heating/cooling system was hoisted up.


I have not been in the store for three days. It will be interesting to see what has changed this rime.

Yup, THREE DAYS OFF IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!

So nice. Except this week I only have three shifts which is okay but I'd really like to have four. I have to find out how I can claim a shift from someone. I had it done to me when I first worked there and there is a shift I could do that someone else with less seniority has. So I'll ask when I get there today.

The princess was okay for a while but man, she doesn't have any freaking common sense. We were VERY busy last week and customers lined up. There were two cashiers besides myself on duty. She saunters over and asks me if I know where Head Cashier is. I said I didn't know and she says well we have lots of customers, I think we need someone else on. I suggested she page.

Now, rather than do that or just keep working, she strolls outside looking for the HC, who is on break, to help and tells them that "we're busy". She left her register with a line up!!!!!!!

WTF! you couldn't move your ass a little faster? You can't pick up your pace a little and work harder? You can't wipe that sulking look off your kisser?

I DO NOT blame the head cashiers in any way. It is very hard to know when we will be busy and it happened to almost be the time for the next cashier to come on duty, anyway. Now on the Sunday before Thanksgiving we were all set for lots of customers and they didn't show. Yet, the three days after Thanksgiving we were very, very busy. In that case we work a little harder and the HC comes out and goes on cash as well.

BUT, the interesting thing about the store is that one minute there are no customers and then suddenly there are lots of them. Its like they collect somewhere and then make a dash for the registers. You can be standing there wondering how many times you can clean the belt and the next thing you know there's a MOB at your register wanting to get home and make supper.

We have some new employees that appear to be working out. I hope so. Maybe some of the not so good ones can be replaced. Like, why are we putting up with someone who is consistently late?? And someone who makes it obvious they don't want to be here and will read a magazine rather than help customers and couldn't move fast if their ass was on fire?


Also, one day last week, one of our own employees is walking around in a grocery store carrying a dog. A DOG!! I love dogs BUT they are not allowed in GROCERY stores. ONLY A SERVICE DOG'S PAWS CAN CROSS OUR THRESHOLD!! When I confronted said employee they said they knew they couldn't bring a dog in and then went out side with it. What if I hadn't said anything? Would they have just kept on going around the store? What if the manager had actually been there and seen it? Probably would have cost them the job.


Oh crap, wait a minute. I could have solved a couple of problems there by not saying anything.

No comments: