Friday, July 12, 2013

Customers Are So Cool Sometimes . . . . . .

You would have thought there was full moon today. I don't know how else to describe it. All kinds of 'different' people in the store.

It was quiet at first so it was suggested I 'do something'. I cleaned all the registers, twice, and all the magazine racks once. Then it started to get busy.

Chapter one:

I had some regulars and then one older lady who just seemed a tad off. The questions she asked were  . . . . . . . . . . . . well, strange.

She didn't seem to be all there. She wanted to know if I had coffee for her to drink. She made it sound like she thought that I had it at my register. I explain where it is and she goes off to explore. Twenty minutes go by and she comes to the end of my register and sits on the chair we keep there for a few of the older people to sit on when they are tired. She is right at the end where my customers exit and there is barely enough room for them to get by. She pulls out a container of soup and starts to eat it.

She explains to me that she only got a half container of soup and I said she should have put it in the small container as I will have to charge her for the large one. She says she already paid for it. Now I did not know this and when she first came over to sit down it didn't appear like she had a bag. She had bananas in the top of the buggy and a sort of mess of purse with her and some kind of tag, turned backwards, around her neck.

To be honest, she gave the impression of someone shy of the required number of cookies to make a dozen. She finishes off the soup and the next thing I see she is eating a self serve salad. As she had picked around the bananas I can now see a bag AND a receipt. I apologize for being rude to her. Several times, as I feel pretty bad about the way I talked to her.

I go on serving customers and she starts to ask me innocuous questions. I am still serving customers and she is not really asking at the best time for me. I try to answer and eventually she ends up asking if there is a place to put the garbage. I said 'yes, in the garbage pail here' and I shove the bin out to the other side so she can put her stuff in there. I didn't want to touch it as it was all messy and I'm handling another customers groceries. She then turns and goes back through the register causing several people to have to move to accommodate her.
end of chapter one



Any who, it comes the end of my shift and I have a half hour to play with while I wait for my husband. So, off to get a few of the end of the week specials.

As I'm going around the store I am greeted by three customers looking for information. I help them out and continue on the way to the register. I suddenly remember that I need teriyaki sauce for some beef jerky I am making. As I head into the aisle I hear two young men talking about how they need some soya sauce and they show up at the shelf at the same time. I showed them where it was and thanked them for reminding me that I needed sauce as well.

One sees the uniform and says if I work here I must know all the dirty little secrets. I do the old 'look both ways to make sure no one is listening' , turn to tell them something 'witty' and draw a complete blank. So I just said "actually, there aren't any" to which they laughed. I did tell them about the blog though and they sounded interested in it. Lets see if they join!

Gotta get that number up again ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !


Pictures make it pretty: A winter sunrise that looked like a fire as well.


No comments: