Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pardon the profanity but: WTF ! ! ! ! !

What in the hell are they thinking at head office? I know you want to make the bottom line better. I know you have to compete with the "Loblaws" group, but for God's sake is it going to be at the expense of the employees?

What in the bloody hell possessed you people to think that cutting the hours and increasing the frustration of the cashiers AND customers is going to turn into a good thing?

Tonight from about 4:30 pm on until I left at 7:30 was absolute hell. I had customers lined up fifteen deep. The other TWO, yeah, two, registers were lined up almost as bad. And they had the large orders. I was on express and most orders were over 8 items. What am I supposed to tell customers?? WHAT do I tell the person with 20 items who is looking at a huge line up over on a regular cash line. And then what do I tell the customers being held up with one or two items by the 20 item people??

I had SO MANY pissed off people in my line. I did have one gentleman that asked if anyone else could come out to get the lines down. I had to tell him that this was it. But I also noticed a lot of our regular customers in line that were being patient because they know me. Yes, me. They were willing to put up with the lines because they know I'll bust my ass to get them through as quickly as possible. But this man asking was someone I've never seen before and therefore someone we want to impress. One of my regular customers engaged him in conversation and the next thing the stranger knew it was his turn. My customer did that out of respect for me.

I truly appreciated it. I also told all the people in line that I was going as fast as I can and that if they are not happy about the line ups they need to let management know. It was their decision. I really hope that our manager, who watches us on the video gets to see and hear what i said. I further hopes he calls me on it.

I CAN NOT stand seeing customers be put through this. And I definately don't intend to have myself put through it.


The bottom line is that when you start to squeeze too much it gets tight enough that it blows up in your face. What is going to happen is that customers will go to another store over the highway.

I think you'll find that people will be willing to pay a little extra rather than spend time standing in a freakin' line for ten minutes. Frustration is contagious as is anger. Its only going to take a couple of customers to get a lot of them stirred up one night. Also when we are that busy and that frazzled we become easy pickings for the con and we become flustered easily. It also is hard on the new cashiers which may explain why we have such a huge turnover.

Our store is well liked because its local, its gorgeous inside, carries quality products, and has a friendly, for the most part, bunch of cashiers. Do you really want to be losing that friendliness and home town feeling? I have had an awful lot of customers say that they love coming to our store because most of the employees are so nice. They always feel better after going through certain registers or are happy to see certain people at the store because it makes them feel glad to come to OUR store.


Anyway, I hope the anger and frustration I feel came through in this post. I have always tried to keep the language clean in this blog. But tonight I want all and sundry to know that The Unknown Cashier is PISSED OFF and not going to be able to take it much longer. I LOVE this job but it is getting ridiculous what they are expecting of their people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yours in no longer a "Local Store".
It is owned and managed by a large corporation, no different than Walmart.

Actually there is a difference. Walmart has adequate staff levels.

As long as your customers continue to shop at "your store" because they have the delusion it's "local" there is no need to fix the problem.