Thursday, May 14, 2009

Way to encourage employees, man ! ! ! ! !

Usually a strong cashier (ie. fast or efficient) is paired along with one or two of the weaker ones. You can't put all the strong ones together because that means all the slower, etc ones end up working together and we'd be out of business.

When I come in, because I am limited in what I am physically capable of, I work hard at what I CAN do. I usually clean my register completely and then start fanning out to the other registers to give them a wipe down. I also clean the coin machine, the ice machine, the top of the candy racks, and the top of the Coke machine.

I make sure my bags are in order and then I wait for customers. If none are forthcoming I'll straighten the products on the ends of the aisles or tidy up the gum and candy.

And sometimes, just sometimes, I stand there. (usually when I have cleaned all I can or particularly if I am not feeling well)

The other day this incident occurred: (two person conversation)

"Unknown, pick up a white phone."

Oh, hello, head cashier.

"Mr. BossMan would like you to do something."

Oh, sure. What?

"Anything."

At which I chuckled a little and said okay.

I had been standing still for a good 30 seconds and had just finished an hour with one of our slowest cashiers. This girl can NOT keep her attention on her job and customer, and everything is done
one
step
at
a
time.

Also, there are two people I get paired with a lot and I've noticed when I work with them I seem to be always working and especially getting the bigger orders. Many's the time I have looked up to see they have both walked away from their registers. And sure enough my next customer has a buggy FULL of groceries.

But why in the heck would you pick on me for standing around, when I do my own job as well as I do. And did you ever think of maybe complimenting a person on how well they perform as opposed to finding one little error and making that the thing you mention.

I actually found that the further into my shift I got, the angrier and more unappreciated I felt. The key word being felt. I care about my job and particularity about my customers. For me to feel badly reflects in my attitude, thereby making my job harder and not as much fun to do.

One thank you goes a LONG way to making employees feel good about their jobs.

Anyway, don't be surprised at what you may occasionally see in the video camera peering over my shoulder.


And here I thought they were for security purposes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like "Mr. Bossman" needs to book himself a routine Colonoscopy, to check for brain damage.

Many managers are loosing their jobs in this current economic downturn.

Companies are discovering that keeping the underpaid staff that actually do something is better for the bottom line. You can hope.