Friday, May 8, 2009

There has to be a word for it . . . .

Sometimes you get the customer that is in need of extra attention. But why do they show up when you are dealing with other customers as well?

Had a lady yesterday. She bought frozen 'drink'. Most of us know that if it says 'drink' not 'juice' then it contains LOTS of sugar.

So AFTER I have rung in the drink, she asks:
"Is this sugar free?"
No, if you want sugar free you have to buy juice.
"Where is the juice?"
Down at the end of aisle 7, left side in the freezer.
"There isn't juice there."
Oh, I didn't realize we were sold out.
"I want cranberry juice."
I don't think we carry frozen cranberry but we have 100% juice in bottles in aisle 4.
"Where is it?"
In aisle 4, right hand side.


As this has been going on another customer had come along, and was waiting patiently. He only had a few items, but I like to get the customers through. So I sort of turned to deal with him and she takes the hint and goes to look. I get this customer done and another comes along at the same time as I hear from the middle of the store:

"There isn't any there."
Yes there is, would you like me to help you find it?
"Show me."
I'll be right there and I finish with the next customer.


(I thank him for his patience and go to show her where it is)

"There's no cranberry juice."
I point out the ten or twelve different kinds we have.
"I want one without sugar."
Then you'll want the 100% juice and I hand it to her.
"This has sugar in it."
Yes, but its not ADDED sugar, its the sugar naturally found in fruit.
"What about that one that says 'no added sugar'?"
I get that down and show it to here, read the ingredients and it contains sucrose and Splend@. I explain that to her and she looks at the label.
"This has more carbs. (I think she said. I don't remember.)
I think that's because of the extra sucrose.
"Well why would they do that?"
Because some people don't want 'sugar' but will accept sucrose.
"So what was the other one like?"
Its 100% juice so it has nothing added to it. Its all fruit juice.
"This has more sugar."


NOW she points at the side of the bottle. Turns out she's looking at the nutrition chart which shows the actual sugars and I am looking at the ingredient list which shows what's in the product. The nutrition chart shows the sugars available to the system, I guess.

So anyway, she wanted to keep this circular discussion going but I was done. I said to her all I can suggest is that you decide which you want. Calories from fruit or calories from sugar.

Then she comes through my line to pay for it and surprised me by almost thanking me for all the time I gave her.

I think she had been sent out to get something and didn't have enough information. I would be surprised if she did the shopping on a regular basis. Even the way she carried her purchases gave her away.

* * * * * *

Yesterday was sort of busy and had a few other weird customers but mostly regulars. Up until the last hour the time flew by. The cashier next to me leaves and all of a sudden there is only the express and myself open. And it was BUSY now. I had a line of about five very full buggies. The head cashiers came out and helped clear the backlog.

Turns out someone was supposed to be there at 2:00 and it was now after three before she returned their calls to her. She confused the days and thought she was due a half hour later but was on her way now. When she finally shows up she didn't have an apology for being late, doesn't turn her light on and goes to start putting baskets away.

A man came to her register and asked if she was open. She said yes while holding this armload of baskets, then says "But "Unknown" will be glad to help you." and walks away.

I have been busting my hump to cover your lateness and you can't even jump in right away?

By the way, this may be the person I have been waiting for to fill the gap The Princess left.

* * * * * *

One last thing for today. Would my readers like to give me a clue as to how many of you there are? All I ask is that you put a location where you're from in the comments under a blog. I am curious as to how many people are following this and at the time I have no way of tracking it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sally,
Margi here from Ft McMurray, AB!
(Usually reading your blog from Hamilton though.)
I will be back in less than a week -- missing you all at Metro this week!

Grace said...

I'm here reading in Hamilton, I work with ya though heh. anyway see ya soon! <3

WS said...

Hey Sally
Just another fellow employee reading along...usually laughing.
Keep on writing
WS

elaine said...

Hey Sally,
Just following along reading & laughing .. enjoying your life's wisdom.... from Lindsay...keep up the writing, l love your swift wit!el.

Katy Anderson said...

Hi! I just stumbled across this blog one day and absolutely love it!! I'm from Utah!

Erin Heather said...

Also in Hamilton, just happened to find your blog and have been steadily reading it. As a fellow retail worker, I totally get it!