Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Worn out more than I thought

Sorry, I haven't written as I said I would. I didn't realize how much those two busy days took out of me. Saturday I was on express and I don't know about anyone else but I find being mentally tired way harder to recover from than a physical tired.

I showed up on Saturday and stepped into a register with a HUGE line-up. Must have been ten or twelve people. I started right in and was up to super speed in no time. I got the line down a couple of times to maybe four or so and then it would go right back up again. We had six of our seven registers open and running. I guess the fact that we were closed the day before and the day after made every one panic. PLUS, the store had an Air Miles promo happening as well ! ! !

That meant if you spent over $100.00 instead of getting 5 miles you could get 50!! That's huge. So we had lots of big orders going through. I'm glad I wasn't doing them. Although I had several people with more than the 8 items, but what can you do when its that busy? By the time you send them out you haven't saved any time for the next customer, so I let them slide.

BUT, the piece of cake was this woman who is standing there with three lilies lined up on my belt and the rest of her groceries and she's trying to decide which one looks best?? WTF?? You couldn't do that before my register? THEN, wouldn't you know the scanner rings it in twice, but I didn't hear it. So she pays for her order, stands at the end of my register with her stuff still on the end. I had circled the place where it showed 15 items on her list and I thought she was going to get snotty with me. Instead she points out that the winning lily rang through twice. Now she had been watching what I was doing so I don't know how she missed it, but what the heck, I missed it too. SO I had to send her to customer service to get her refund. I wasn't about to do it while I had this huge lineup. In the meantime she leaves all her stuff on my table, in the way.


Then some schmuk with a basket of stuff and he just leaves it in the basket. I DO NOT empty baskets. All the reaching and bending I do, I am not about to hurt my back taking your stuff out for you. What, your arm's broken? I tipped the items, carefully, out of the basket. One kid even pointed it out to her Mother and the comment was "That's okay, SHE can take it out." So, over goes this basket and I tipped it all out and told her where to put the basket. No not THERE; at the front of the register on the floor.

Then there are others that think they can just put the basket on my bagging table and that I'll get rid of it. NAY NAY. You carried it up here and you couldn't remember where to put it from the last time you were here? So I put the groceries IN the basket and tell them they can put it away by the door as they leave.

I love training customers.

Oh yeah. Why is it that you can be standing at your register, light on, no closed sign up, looking eagerly at the customer and they ask if you're open. BUT, when its time to go on break, your light is off and the sign is there, they will continue to put stuff up. Or they'll read the sign and then look at you like you're going to say "Ha Ha jokes on you. I really am open." or "That's okay. I'll do your huge order and the heck with the fact that it is already half an hour after my break."

Was that sarcasm?? YES ! ! !


And one last comment for today. For those people that take the buggies and don't return them: you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Because one day, the store will say to heck with it and switch to those stupid put-in-a-quarter buggies that never work right any way. Only I can see the day when you'll have to actually pay some sort of deposit on a buggy, maybe $10.00. I mean that's good enough for the big blue jug that you buy water in.

No comments: