Thursday, April 9, 2009

Closed, Express, Rainchecks and Other Stuff

We'll be closed tomorrow and Sunday. (Good Friday and Easter Sunday). That means it is going to be very busy today and extremely crazy on Saturday. Also on Saturday there is a bonus Air Miles deal going on SSSSOOOOO even crazier.

PLUS, last night was a full moon. All in all it should be an 'interesting' few days.


It was quite busy last night, especially over the supper time 'rush hour'. Most of the first three hours of the shift the line was ten people deep. (An aside: some people with less than 8 items will walk right by one or two cashiers doing nothing to stand in line at express. They seem to think that 8 items or less means they can't go through a regular register line.)

Oh yeah, and how come when you turn your light out AND put a sign up saying you're closed people will still try to come in your line, but when you're light is on, no sign in sight and you're standing there looking at them they ask if you're open? They don't seem to realize that yes, I do actually sometimes have NO ONE in my line. They almost act like its a trap.
Yup, you got it. When you come in here I'm .................... going ....................... to...................................... ring-up-your-groceries-and-charge-you!!!! BWOOO HA HA



Sometimes people can't, or don't think. Had a guy last night buying four cases of pop. Easy enough. Except when I told him the total he looked shocked. He looks at the display then at me and THEN says 'Oh, I see.' and promptly pulls a rain check out of his pocket.

Then he looks at me like why didn't I know that. Well duh, the Spidey senses and x-ray vision are turned off at work!!!

Now I have to refund it all back then put them through at the sale price. Luckily, there was no one behind him. I wonder how he thought I would know about his rain check? O course when we refund back over a certain amount, in this case almost $25.00 we have to have a managers key.



I saw my older,grandpa gentleman friend yesterday. I could take him home in a minute. His wife is ill, I don't know with what (I hope its not Alzheimers) so I always ask how she's doing. He goes to see her everyday the way my Dad used to visit my Mom. Also saw Mrs Violet. She is not smiling lately. She had to have her front teeth out because she broke two of them. Then she has to wait for the swelling to go down and they will be putting in a bridge for her. She loves to smile and chat with people and she has so many friends around the village. Its been hard on her.



Back to work stuff.... On all the registers there is a little shelf underneath the bag holders where you can rest your foot. Technically I think they want you to put go-backs and paper flower covers etc, there. But when you're standing all day it helps if you can put your foot up for a little bit. Its good for the back.

On express, though, the shelf is higher. It is uncomfortable to put one foot up, even if you are tall. I'm going to ask the boss if they can move it up to the other end and bring that one down here. I mentioned it to some girls last night and they agreed that their backs hurt as well when working express. The height of the shelf now is such that if you were to put your foot up you might as well hang a red light over the register as well. It looks like you're advertising for companionship of the paying kind.

Of course that might bring a whole different group of people to the store. HHHHHMMMMMMMM


And when are people going to stop smelling so bad? What would make you think that it is attractive to have a scent SO STRONG that you can be noticed form ten feet away??? Had several people through wearing too much perfume or after shave, or, even worse, smelling like ashtrays. (Ashtray smell is the worst, followed by, BO). But heavy perfumes and after shave make it hard for me to breathe. You know its bad when the lettuce is wilting and people's eyes are watering.

My Dad used to say that you want people to say "Oh, what is that lovely scent?" NOT:

"My eyes!!! My eyes !!! Oh gawd my eyes!!!"

No comments: