Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Who the hell is in charge down there

We have these plastic triangle shaped dividers that we use between customers orders. We then know where theirs ends and the next one begins. Pretty simple design. As I said its a triangle and closed on all sides. That 's good, because as you start an order you need to be able to get that picked up, put in the slot and give it a quick push for the next customer to grab.

The slot is just a small, long tray, I guess, just wide enough for the divider. The slot also has two walls on it of about 3/8" in height.

Sooooo. Someone at the divider making company sold some advertising to an online bank and we got these terrible open bottomed dividers. Plus they have some kind of cut out shapes in the top. You can sort of see it in the first photo, to the left of the black one. Anyway, when you grab it and try to put it away it usually catches on one of the outsides of the slot's tray. You have to stop and fiddle with it to make sure you can get it in there.

The more savvy of us last week, tried them for a little while and determined what a dumb idea that was. They were slowing us up so much that we traded them out for the old ones.

I show up at work yesterday, and we have the first ones back and some other new ones, again open bottomed, cut out tops, and our old ones are in hiding somewhere. These second ones came from the OLG, Ontario Lottery And Gaming Corporation. They are NOT provided by our store. The OLG can come in with their signs etc and change the advertising, as we are a selling agent for them. I think the bank had to ask us to put them up but NOT the OLG. I kept two of them, even though I would have preferred to not use them at all. But customers really do like to have them. A few hours into the shift, there was a gap between two people and I got a good look down my belt. I mean the dividers are annoying and all but I didn't study  them when I got to work. Anyway, in front of the second order is this new divider and it suddenly hit me what was wrong about the thing.  Have a look at this:


It was the second picture that made the image show so bright in my mind. What were these people thinking? Have they never heard of World War 2? Hitler? Nazis? Auschwitz?

For a stupid lottery?

I don't know which is worse. The person that designed this or the person that approved it.

If I was the schmuck that had anything to do with this campaign, I'd make sure I had somewhere else to be for the next several months.

No comments: