Monday, January 2, 2012

What ? ? ? ? ?

Okay, I was on express the other day. That means you pretty well deal with just customers. You also keep an eye on customer service and page for lottery or Western Union or what ever. But you don't wander away and do baskets or things like that.

Anyway, this lady comes over to me with a small soup container and says she wants a large soup. I said that if there aren't any there we are probably out of them. I  also said I don't have any containers but if you ask at hot foods they should be able to assist you. She looks at me like I am totally weird and extremely rude for not helping her RIGHT NOW. And why the hell DON'T I have the containers at my register?

She goes over to the counter and asks and is told that we are indeed out of the large. So she takes two small ones and complains to me that her friend asked her to pick up a large. I said well at least this way she has more soup and I'm sure she'll appreciate you getting it for her. I asked if she needed a bag and she said no. So I finished her order and she then says 'I need a bag.' All righty then. You have a great day.

* * * * *
Two days in a row I had the same register. That doesn't happen often but it was nice because it was still set up the way I like it.  It means I was able to get down to business right away.

The second day the Diva was already there. She is annoying in that she seems to me that she can really set people's teeth on edge. I don't know how to describe it, other than she seems to ask questions in an argumentative (?) sort of way. One customer was obviously hard of hearing and had a hearing aid that you could see.  She asks him, quietly, if he needs bags. He didn't hear her. So she asks him again, but also spots the bag he's carrying in his hand. At the same time he had turned and asked her what she said.  She says 'never mind.'  He said 'what'  in a surprised tone. Again she says 'never mind'. He looks a little surprised so she tells him 'I asked you if you needed bags, but now I can see you don't.'

Maybe you had to be there, but it just seemed kind of rude, somehow. I just don't think that is the way to address an older person, whether they tick you off or not.

*

A little while later she sees that this customer has their own bags. She asks if they would like her to bag for them. They say no thanks and she proceeds with the order. Within a few minutes she is telling them that she'd be happy to bag. They, again say no, but she now tells them that she can do a better job. Well, maybe you can, but you don't imply that a customer is doing a lousy job when they think that they are being helpful or that they just want to do their own packing. I will wait and if I think they could have done it better I'll ask if I can give them a little suggestion.

Some people are not aware that even though we have switched to bags you pay for or that they bring themselves, we are still expected to do the packing for them. It doesn't absolve us of our duty as cashiers. The customer is spending good money. They are entitled to good service.

Another store in our area, from what I've been told by customers, just put the bags at the end for you and proceed to the next order. I think our store has an opportunity to capitalize on the fact that we still do the bagging. We need to go back to some of the old values.

*

The last thing The Diva did was, in my opinion, childish. There had been some kind of words between her and the customer and it was the tone that made me tune in. I hear her telling the customer that she has to scratch the 'thank you' sticker off the bag she just bought. She's making it very clear that this is a chore. She then asked me what my nails were like so maybe I could peel this label off. Yet, she doesn't offer me the bag to work on.  She also has another customer in line. I said to her what's wrong? She said 'I have to void it off'.
Okay, just void off a different one and move on. I offered her one of my not sold yet bags to just scan the code. 'No it has to be this one. I just can't get the sticker off enough' . When I again said I have a bag you could use, she just glared at me. Then why am I even being brought into this?

She finally gets that done and then at payment time, waits until the woman inserts the card too soon before telling her she had to wait for the message. The procedure of setting the machine up now has to be repeated. And she tells her customer that in a condescending tone.

She, The Diva, gave me the impression she was cruising for a fight. Later she told me she was trying to make a point with this lady. While she was doing all this the customer was  fiddling around in her purse, or checking her phone or otherwise occupied and not the least concerned with her grocery purchase. So the customer was totally unaware of the 'lesson' she was being taught, anyway.

The result was a confused cashier, (me), a customer made to wait unnecessarily, (next one in line), an oblivious to the world customer, (purse fiddler) and a cashier leaving a bad impression, (Diva).

Pick your battles, Diva!


* * * * *

And lastly, seeing that I worked New Years Eve, (yeah I know it was only the four hours over lunch, but it was New Years Eve,) I stopped at the dollar store and treated myself to some foil hats PLUS noisy horns. I started out the day with the hat on, but it was held with an elastic and by the second customer it let go at one end and smacked me hard right under my eye. In the garbage with the BAD hat.

So I just used my horn. Not on every customer, but almost. As they came to the register I wished them a Happy New Year and tooted the horn. I got a smile from nearly every customer and a laugh from several. I had such a fun time at work Saturday. Most of my customers did as well. I even, at one point, had three people in line while the cashiers on either side had none.I guess they just want to experience the party that is me sometimes.

Makes you glad to do your job and think that you are worth something.

1 comment:

The Witchwood Hermit said...

You're worth a million Sally, keep up the great work and don't ever change.
All the best for the New Year to you and your family.