Sunday, January 10, 2010

Complaints. (well, not really)

I was talking to someone in bakery the other day and was told it was so nice that I was back writing again.

Well. I guess it has been rather infrequent of late.



Any who. What's new? Well, I still have the dubious pleasure of 'working' with some 'girls' that have no freaking work ethic. GAWD, I hope I wasn't like that when I was young and a cashier for the first time.

I don't remember being like that. I remember being helpful, and talkative and enjoying what I did. I looked at it as a challenge for the brain. Back then, we only had price tags on products. If there wasn't a price tag then you were hopefully smart enough to remember the product price. You very quickly learned them. It was no different than knowing vegetable codes is now.

Also, you were expected to study the flyer and know what was on sale. You had to have at least the front page memorized.


*****

Something that really bugs me about these people that I work with: What is so hard about saying 'excuse me' to a customer?

We are supposed to go out and put the last bag in the buggy as a means of checking that nothing is on the bottom of the cart and slips out unpaid for. Okay, except our spaces between registers is already pretty darn narrow. So then you add a customer standing there waiting to pay, or whatever, and a cashier that has to get out to carry a bag around. They, meaning mostly the young ones, NEVER say 'excuse me' so they can pass behind the customer. They sort of try to squeeze by which alarms the customer a little, and then do the same thing when coming back. It is the height of rudeness.

It just plain simple MANNERS, folks. Not that hard to learn. It happens when a cashier goes on break, or when they leave to get a price check or to get bags or whatever. It is NOT a once in a while thing. Some girls do it ALL THE TIME. I am sick of it. I am also sick of these girls that continue talking to each other when they have a customer in the line. I can understand if it is a few younger customers, because they are usually talking among them selves, but the older people here want to know that they have your undivided attention. It is not too much to ask.

This job is a great place to learn how to deal with people. You are going to meet ALL kinds of personalities. You will meet rude people, angry people, crude people, stupid people and kind people. It is a great learning experience. I hate seeing these girls just waste it.

I also don't like to see someone chase someone out of their line when it is break time. You go on break AFTER you clear your line. The only time it is okay not to do that is if another cashier takes the customer to their register.

And while I'm at it. How about you young ladies start thinking about the person coming to work after you or the person you are relieving. YOU want to leave early, so show the same consideration for the person you are replacing. They want to go home early too. Or at least ON TIME.

I now treat the others the way I am treated. If you can't be bothered to show up a minute or two early for me but feel you can then leave 5 or 6 minutes before the end of your shift, then I won't be showing up early to let you off. I also expect there to be change in the cash drawer. Its not that hard to ask if someone is coming on the register after you. If so leave them with something to work with. Its all part of thinking about someone other than yourself ! ! ! ! !

1 comment:

Enzan said...

Man on man, do I agree with what you are saying. ALL OF IT.

Specially the part about manners, it really seems like people go out of their way JUST TO BE RUDE. A simple "please, thank you, or excuse me" will only take a second, but pushing someone or bumping someone out of the way can seriously lead to long confrontations that could have easily been avoided simply by having good manners!

I wish I had the courage you have to treat others how they treat you. However, I am at the bottom of the place I work at (although I am one of the very frew that has a freaking key to the store), and I have been "put down" often for standing up for myself... sigh...

If only I could have another job.