Friday, October 30, 2009

Why don't these people think FIRST? ? ? ?

So it was quiet at first and then some customer has to say it out loud. Yup, just out and says "Boy its quiet in here, today."


AAARRRGGGGHHH

You NEVER say that out loud. Sure enough within half an hour all of the city showed up to go shopping. It was BIZZ -ZZEE!!!!

So anyway, there are only three of us and one of them, on express yet, is so freakin slow, that I had people with one or two items waiting in my line and still getting out quicker than if they had stayed in express!!


When you start at 2:00 the shift is normally a 4.5 hour one, but for some reason I had only a 4 hour shift. Oh well, I was just as happy. I get to go home and visit the hubby for a longer time.

I'm sailing along, 1 hour to go and I get a young lady who is paying with debit. Its refused for insufficient funds. She gives me a five and we try again. Still no go, she takes a couple of items off, still nothing. We take a few more items off and . . . . nope, doesn't work. More items, no luck; more items, no luck. Finally she asks if she can come back for the groceries. I said sure and she goes off to straighten it out. At first I only had three customers behind her, but now with the trying and trying I have a line up of about 8 people. So I manage to catch them up and get them through pretty fast.

I get down to what will be my second last and last customers for the day. I start to scan his items when my computer goes kaflooey. Yeah, just starts to run the start up program. I mentioned it to head cashier and she says they have restarted it from head office. WTF???!!!

Why in the flippin' hell would you choose to do something like that at the busiest freaking time of the day. Did they forget that we are 24 hours. They could update the damn computers in the middle of the night.

I'd like to find out what triggered them doing such a stupid thing at such a bad time. My customer ended up waiting very patiently for more than 5 minutes while this thing had to do the install, the update, the reboot, etc, etc, etc. He became the last customer as the girls at the end asked if they should maybe jump to another line. I suggested it was a good idea as the computer was rebooting.

At least once the stupid computer came back I was able to get him out of there very quickly. I had him bagged and out within five minutes. Kudos to the customer, who has a twenty month old little boy that he was hoping to get home to. He wanted to visit him before he goes to sleep. He could have been crabby and he told me, when I apologized for the delay, that it was okay, it wasn't my fault.

I was not impressed. At all. I don't like having my customers wait and then it makes me late and they are already crabby about hours etc at work. Very inconsiderate as far as I'm concerned.

* * * * *

Well tomorrow is Hallowe'en and I get to work first thing in the morning. YAY! ! ! I have a costume idea already. I was going to go as a big pimple on two rounded pink curves and say I was a boil on the ass of the world, you know, a politician. But didn't think I could get away with it. Then I thought that I could wear doggy ears and have two rows of teats running down the front of me and say I was a 'bitch'. (correct term for female dog). But again, figured they wouldn't like it.

So settled on those little individual serving size cereal boxes with knives sticking out of them. I'll be a "cereal" killer.

BOO, everybody.

No comments: