Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Customers (Like I haven't used this title before)

So over the past few days it has been quite busy (not counting yesterday which was Family Day).

I was on express one night and had one of my regular customers chase away someone who may be going to college but hasn't learned to count yet. This guy pulls up to the lane with a buggy FULL of items.My customer asked him if they were all his. He says yes and my customer says that's too many. The guy looks at him with a blank look on his face so my customer again says its too many items. This is express and points to the sign. The guy looks at the sign like it probably means something, what he's not sure, but finally wanders off to another register. THANK YOU to the regular customer and I was sure to tell him that. I wish more customers would speak up.


Later that day I have two people in line and a man standing at the end of my lane looking at a newspaper. He had it held up in front of him. I can't see his face but as I'm looking he lowers the paper, looks at me over the top and then raises the paper again. I thought I was going to die laughing. I know he was looking to see the progress of the line but I HAD to ask.

"Are you a spy?"
The next customer starts laughing because he realized what I meant. The 'spy' looks confused and says "No, why?". I explained it to him. When he realized what I meant he started to chuckle. Not that funny in the telling but it was hysterical at the time.


Then another day, different register, this customer starts by ranting about the little angle thingy we have at the end of the belt. The belt used to be straight all the way through, but a part of the scale now sticks out so someone thought it would be brilliant to put in this stupid attachment that narrows the belt down for the last ten or twelve inches. Some customers realize what will happen as the groceries move along but most don't. I am constantly watching for eggs to not get squished or having to free up log jams or to catch items that will pop up and end up on the floor.

So anyway this customer starts to explain to me that this is a stupid thing to do and list all the reasons why. Okay, Now THAT'S something I never thought of. I listen a little and start to agree. As I'm ringing through and bagging his groceries, he starts in with "fill the bags up, I know other people can't carry that much but I'm capable of lifting it. I can lift a lot of weight."

Well you know, that's just peachy, except the bags are pretty crappy and I, personally think you're asking for a problem, but hell, I'm only a cashier and been doing this for what, 40 YEARS!!!

I now have fifteen full 28oz cans in the bag and he adds more. What ever. I actually found it fun to just cram stuff in with no regard as to how it would make it to the car. He repacked a lot of it because I didn't have it done right. As in not enough in the bags. I still put the bread and eggs separate because I think they are the most fragile but he added more to those bags too. I didn't watch. I told him he'd end up in the blog for sure. Hope I don't see him again anytime soon. Eyes were just a little too wild for my liking.



The good side of customers:
I now have three older ladies that say it is such a pleasure coming through my register because I am always so cheerful (insert cheek pinch here), and they love to see a familiar face and I make them feel good.

And I haven't seen my elderly gentleman lately. He's the one that always buys two cans of beans for the Food Share and reminds me of my Dad. I hope he's okay. I know his wife isn't well and the last time I saw him he was so thin.

No comments: