Friday, July 18, 2008

Weather

So yesterday was hot enough to fry the proverbial egg on the sidewalk. (nobody tried and I know it can't REALLY be done, but you get the picture).

Funny thing was the store is no longer as 'cold' as it was last month. Suddenly, its 'nice' in here. What really helps is that because of the cooler air there is actually oxygen that you can use to breathe with. You remember, that nice clear stuff we used to fill our lungs with?

On break time I went outside to remind myself of how cool it was inside. I don't like the heat at the best of times and 70 (yes its Fahrenheit, I'm old) is warm for me. I should be working in the freezer. Anything over 60 is too warm. I still figure that I was an Eskimo in a previous life. Or maybe a penguin.

Whatever, on days like yesterday I am very glad to work here.

Case in point: I am usually very good at showing up for work on time. In fact I am normally early. Well, Hubby bought me a present the other day.

I bet you're thinking flowers or jewelry, right? WRONG!

My Hubby likes to get me strange things that I actually find pleasure in. (maybe I'm the strange one). Once it was a new snow scoop, another time a new rake. (drooling yet?)

This one was a new BBQ. You know.... the kind you assemble yourself and then add charcoal to and throw a match on? We figured a few years ago, when the propane BB Q's all came out, that if we bought one of these every two years it would be cheaper than the fancy, shmantzy kind over time. So far its true. We are only out about $100.00 and the charcoal lasts a long time because, cheapskate that I can be, I let it dry and reuse it. PLUS, when I am out walking the dog I pick up small hunks of wood and branches that come home, get dried and are then used to start the fire.

UGGHH ..... Fire

SOOOOOOO, I was sitting outside, melting and sweltering and just about to throw the match when the phone rang.

"hello?"

"Why aren't you here?"

"Because I work tomorrow."

"No, you're supposed to be here for 3:30 today and have tomorrow off?"

"Really?!"

"Yes."

"Well, then I better get the uniform on and come in."

Chuckle "Thanks."

Turns out there must be something in that oxygen at the store, because when I got there one girl who was supposed to work the next day came in a day early, one thought she started two hours later and had to be called and one was sitting at home, melting over a bbq pit.

It all got sorted out, (Yappy covered for me till I got there and when I thanked her she grunted. I think that's good.)

Anyway, had the obligatory nut that can't count to 8, and the customer that gives the curse by saying "I can't get over how quiet it is in here!"

NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Sure enough within twenty minutes all hell broke loose. They were lined up back to bakery. No one sorry to be waiting though. They DID like the coolness of the line.

I REALLY LOVE EXPRESS. So fast.

One last thing. Apparently I was in rare form. One customer said they should give me a microphone and pump it through the store. A couple of others actually agreed.

Just what I need a bigger audience.

Got to go and deflate the ego.

See ya!!!

No comments: